Saturday, November 12, 2011

Well, after taking a few days off to let my eye heal, I finally got back to work last night.  The eye is still scratchy, and what worries me more, it's still a little blurry, but much better than it was Monday, Tuesday and even Wednesday.  I went in for a follow up on Thursday and I have to go back one more time next week, but overall, it's looking pretty good.  Hopefully this scratchiness and blurriness will go away soon.  I'm pretty sure the scratchiness will, but I really hope the blurriness does too.

I started working on the second foot last night.  I had already bent the toes when I did the first foot, to be sure to keep them the same size, so last night I shaped the rest of the footprint, attached it to the base, started building up the toes and started the toenails.  As I said before, she is standing on her toes and taking a step forward.  The first leg, her right leg, is the one directly under the body, supporting her weight on the ball of the foot.  The left leg, the one I started last night, is a step behind her.  It's really just touching the base with her toes and the foot is more perpendicular to the floor. 

So that's it.  Everything that's going to be making contact with the base, the support for the whole sculpture, is now there.  The first foot isn't as sturdy as I'd like it to be, but I think it's more than strong enough to support everything, and the second foot is really just sort of picking off the piece, so it only really needs that small point where the toes touch the ground.  This was one of my main concerns going into it, but now that those points are finished, I think it's going to work. 

Just adding that first little bit of the second foot has changed the piece completely.  It takes it from being this abstract... thing... a leg sticking up from the ground and unraveling into nothingness, and suddenly gives it context.  All it is is a footprint, but suddenly I can see the other leg.  It's pretty crazy. 

Great soundtrack all night last night, but when it started raining around 1AM, the cellos came out and everything sort of fell into place.  Nice moody end to the evening.  Johann Johannsson came out with the first raindrops, and then I finished the night with Olafur Arnalds.  Soooo good.


No comments:

Post a Comment