Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello again.  And Happy New Year!  Sorry I've been a little slow on the updates.  I took a few days off after tearing my thumbnail, and then just rolled right on through Christmas.  Been a rough end to the year.  Can't say I'm too sorry to see it go.  But I have been back to work this week.

Spent a few days working on the thicker wires at the hips.  I had a hard time finding the line.  I had a few false starts, and tried a few different things to no avail, until finally it clicked.  It's a pretty complex curve, but it's a beautiful curve, as it segues from the hip bone, through that little divot in the waist, up into the rib cage.  By the time I finally got the wires into shape, there were so many bites from my channel locks that you could barely touch it without getting a metal sliver.  Had to do a little grinding to smooth that down.  The next step was to put in the sort of hour glass outline of the belly.  This was another of those moments where the piece took a huge leap.  Suddenly something major that wasn't there a day ago, showed itself.  Next was the belly button.  This was important because this is the point of the belly that sticks the furthest out, so it sort of sets the tone for the rest of the shape.  The rest filled in nicely and she has a cute little pooch belly now.

At this point, I realized I could probably take down the rigging to give myself a little more room to work, so I did and now the piece is completely free standing.  Another big step.  I may need to put it back up later if the torso wires get a little too crazy, but for now it looks great standing by itself.

With the belly done, the next step was to shape the other two thick wires in back into the spine.  I tried a few different things and finally got that into shape last night.  Now it's on to her bum!

I've been listening to a lot of piano and cello music lately, and I recently fell in love with the music of Dustin O'Halloran.  I'm not a huge fan of remixes, as a lot of the time it feels like they detract from the song they're remixing, but I do love this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment